Tuesday 16 April 2019

It's Alive...... Sort of

Originally drafted in April 2019 but never posted as I didn't get it finished, just like the car!

A lot of work has gone in recently but a part which has been a real pain for me was the ignition/fuelling.

After the car being off the road for so long I was mega keen to get it started in a true Frankenstein moment.  I hooked everything up, turned the key and.... click. Nothing else.

I managed to find the source of the initial faul, the starter solenoid.  This was quickly replaced, and after making sure it had a good ground (fix it fully to the body tub).  Next up was the condenser, this cheap part caused me a day of heart ache while I figured out it was faulty.  For the cost, just swap it out with the point.

So that was it, I had spark, I had turn over and had fuel, but still it just wouldn't go.  It would fire and roar with a bit of Easy Start, and then just a quickly die.  More fault finding, walking away and coming back with no solutions until it was highlighted regarding the vacuum hose between the carbs.  If this is not on it will not run.

So the moment of truth, and it started (with the choke) and reved very very very high.  Kill the engine, it obviously needs setting up

A little bit of investigation and the reason for this was it was sucking in lots and lots of air as the carbs weren't fully tightened and the cabs should be set up to approximately, 12 flats out on the mixture nut. This is a good starter for 10!

No comments:

Post a Comment