Thursday 21 October 2010

Replacement Starter Motor


After the AA call out, being a few hours late for work and not wanting to drive around in the other half car which has flowers on the side I decided to replace the starter motor on the Spitfire when I returned from work.
I already had a second hand starter motor which I had ordered previously from Dave at Spitfire Graveyard. I bought this when the car wouldn't start previously but started eventually with a jump. By time I was home it was cold and plenty dark but I was already committed, this job was getting done.

Car pulled under the security light and wrapped up warm I was ready to go.
I unbolted the top bolt, relay wire, removed the aluminium engine guard to access the bottom bolt and as soon as that was off the starter was ready to come straight out. As you can see from the pic the two look a bit different but my brain was so frozen I thought nothing of it. Offering the new motor up to the engine it was to small! I was not happy. Straight inside E-mail to Dave to ask how to have the "mix up" corrected as soon as possible. When I went back out I had a closer look and realized mine had a fitting spacer that obviously came off and fixed the problem. Oops, now to send a rather embarrassed E-mail to ignore my previous one.

The real test came this morning when I tried to start the car in the cold. It fired straight away with no issues and the car seems to run a bit quieter strangely.


Success, now onto the next item on the list.

It would seem I spoke too soon, about a mile away from home the engine started ticking/knocking then as I pulled up it spewed coolant. I've been told a few things to check so will have to get on that one at the weekend.

No comments:

Post a Comment